This week’s discussion relates to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO 3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (PO 4 and 8)
- CO 4: Evaluate the delivery of care for individuals, families, aggregates, and communities based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO 1)
Review the Week 3 Case Studies by opening the links below.
Child Abuse Case Study (Links to an external site.)
Senior with Dementia Case Study (Links to an external site.)
Maternal Child/Developmental and Mental Illness Case Study (Links to an external site.)
Choose one of the three attached case studies, and reflect on the vulnerable population that the case study portrays.
- Identify which case you chose.
- Discuss several risk factors that may impact health outcomes for the vulnerable population in your case study.
- Identify one agency in your community that can assist this vulnerable group and assess this agency in terms of the 4 A’s (see the lesson). Discuss each of the A’s separately to assess accessibility, acceptability, affordability, and availability for this population.
Professor’s comment: Hello Class,
This week, please consider the following questions below and share in your posts.
1. Do you think that the resources in your community are adequate to support the vulnerable population in the case study you chose? If not, what services are needed? There is an adage: “You can lead a horse to water, but can’t make it drink.” This means that you can offer services but you cannot force people to utilize them. Do you agree or disagree with this perspective? How can we sweeten the water to promote health? Explain.
2. Describe a vulnerable population that you have encountered, or will likely encounter, in your clinical setting. Do you believe that this population is receiving adequate healthcare from a social justice point of view? Explain why or why not.